Monday, May 12, 2014

Let It Be

Be Still and know that I am God. (Psalms 46:10)

I never really thought about these word in connection to worrying about the future. I am a bit of a worry wart. I have a tendency to be anxious about life and what will happen as things progress forward. I feel the best advice (that I often freely give and forget to take myself) is to let it be. To just allow life to move forward.

Now I know if you're anything like me you are thinking sure, easier said then done. I agree, relinquishing control (or what we feel is control) of our lives is hard. Weather you believe in a God above or not, recognizing that you don't have control over the path you walk is scary and hard. But it's the payout at the end that makes it worth it. You are suddenly free. Free to be you and just allow life to take it's course.

A leader in my church once said "the submission of one's will is really the only uniquely personal thing we have to place on God's altar. It is a hard doctrine, but it is true. The many other things we give to God, however nice that may be of us, are actually things He has already given us, and He has loaned them to us. But when we begin to submit ourselves by letting our wills be swallowed up in God's will, then we are really giving something to Him" ("Insights from My Life," Ensign, Aug. 2000, 9).

I was once dealing with my fears and anxieties while serving as a missionary for my church. As I was struggling I was speaking with one of my leaders and he shared with me a scripture that taught me a very important concept. It read's " you know, brethren, that a very large ship is benefited very much my a very small helm in the time of a storm. by being kept workways with the wind and the waves." (D&C 123:16)

Example of a Helm
At the time I knew very little about sailing so the analogy was a little lost on me. I still know very little about sailing but I was taught a little to help me understand by my mission leader. He explained that ships move quickly and easily by being guided with a small helm or rudder, it guides the ship through the waves and helps them chart a course. The phrase workways refers to a head on course, keeping the ship in a direction that makes it possible for the ship to remain afloat and not be capsized by on coming waves. This is not accomplished by turning the ship about. In a true storm a ship has to crest the waves and flow with the waves to keep from being overturned. Ride the swells.

The correlation drawn for me at the time was to keep moving in a forward direction no matter how big the wave appears to be that is coming toward me. I related it to the wave of emotion and anxiety that I was feeling. It applies to almost anything that we feel may be too overwhelming and that could capsize us. The current application for me is my worries. I am borrowing tomorrow's worries to dwell and fixate on today. Thus I am capsizing my ship by running away from the waves rather then facing them in faith. It's a good correlation.

So to wrap this up in the words of the Beatles:
"when the night is cloudy
There is still a light that shines on me
Shine on until tomorrow, let it be"

~Katie Jean~

1 comment:

  1. I love that scripture. It is easier said than done. But when it is done, everything else is easier.

    ReplyDelete